The Prep program at Kuraby State School is based on the Australian Curriculum and the Early Years Curriculum Guidelines.
The Kuraby Prep program has been designed around these five essential elements of the Early Years Curriculum Guidelines:
- Social and Personal Learning
- Health and Physical Learning
- Language Learning and Communication
- Early Mathematical Understandings
- Active Learning Processes
Our Prep program is all about learning what school is about and teaching independence and responsibility.
Our aim is to constantly improve the acquisition of literacy and numeracy skills of our students.
In literacy, we:
- Teach focussed phonics lessons through Phonograms programs.
- Teach high frequency vocabulary through the Magic 100 Word program.
- Provide a guided reading program that caters for student’s individual needs.
- Provide a levelled home reading program
- Provide an oral language program to improve each student’s speaking skills and confidence.
In numeracy, we:
- Provide guided number programs that cater for the individual needs of each child,
Our Prep program is well equipped with technology, with the children having daily access to iPads, mini iPads and classroom desktops for both literacy and numeracy rotations.
We also provide a combination of gross and fine motor programs.
Kuraby State School has a Pre-Prep Program, Joeys, available for parents and students starting Prep in the following year. Please see section under Enrolments heading.